- Knowledge Base
- Simple Failover v. 2.0
- KB article #214
Retired features and breaking changes in Simple Failover v. 2.0
To make Simple Failover even simpler to use and also to "make room" for new stuff, we have done a bit of cleaning up.
A number of older features have been retired because there are now better alternatives, or because they are no longer relevant.
No longer runs on older Windows versions
Simple Failover v. 2 requires Windows Vista / Server 2008 or later.
New configuration file format
Simple Failover v. 2 cannot use v. 1.x configuration files directly. However a conversion tool is included.
Incompatible HTTP API
The v. 2 HTTP API is not compatible with that from Simple Failover v. 1.x (v. 2 is REST based and uses JSON / v. 1.x is not REST based and uses XML)
RETIRED: DNS update method "Microsoft DNS via WMI"
- Use new update method "Microsoft DNS Server (dnscmd.exe)" (requires new update agent installed on DNS server computer when updating remote server).
- Use new "execute command line" update method to run your own a script / program (not available from us) to perform the update via WMI or dnscmd.exe.
- Use new option to serve DNS directly.
- Use another DNS update method and/or DNS server.
RETIRED: DNS update method "Scripting"
- Use new "execute command line" DNS update method to run the script via cscript.exe (requires minor updates to script).
- Use another DNS update method.
RETIRED: VBScript / JScript scripts for server status events and problems event
- Use new "execute command line" notification method to run the script via cscript.exe (requires minor updates to script).
- Use another notification method.
RETIRED: VBScript / JScript scripts for log events
Log events can no longer be scripted.
Simple Failover v. 2 instead has built-in feature for logging to disk.
RETIRED: Problem knowledge base
For v. 2, the on-line "problem knowledge base" will be merged into our general support knowledge base.